It’s SO COLD in PA this winter. We turn our heat down at night and it’s always cold downstairs in the morning. Cold cereal just doesn’t cut it on these cold winter mornings! But when I have a pot of overnight steel cut oats ready for me, I feel ready to start the day!
I may or may not eat this every day for breakfast. I’m not exaggerating. When I tell people that I love steel cut oats, they all comment that they take so long to make. And YES, they do! No one wants to wait 45 minutes for breakfast in the morning! Make these ahead before you go to bed at night (it’s simple, I promise!) and you’ll be thankful you did the next morning!
It just takes about 5 minutes to make at night, and you can reheat it on the stove with a splash of milk (I use almond milk, but you don’t have to!) It can be refrigerated and reheated every morning. This batch lasts me a whole week – so it can be easily halved if you don’t want to make that much.
- 2 cups steel cut oats (uncooked)
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other oil of your choice)
- 1-2 cups of milk
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan.
- Add steel cut oats - constantly stir for about 2 minutes until slightly toasted.
- Add water - bring to a rolling boil.
- Add cinnamon (optional).
- Remove from heat - cover with a tight fitting lid. Let it sit overnight.
- In the morning, uncover, put over medium heat and stir with 1-2 cups of milk until it's your desired consistency.
- Top with brown sugar, walnuts, more cinnamon, etc.
- Add bananas, apples or blueberries on top if you have them!