It’s hard to believe it’s been FIVE years since we adopted this little guy into our family! One thing’s for sure – our family would be so incomplete without him. The fact that they would have put him down at the shelter if he didn’t get adopted is so sad to me, and has made me a forever advocate of rescuing animals from shelters! Buckley loves his new bed (a “birthday present”) He may only be 22 pounds, but he carries more than enough personality to make up for his small size! He’s been adjusting to life as an “older brother” over the past 21 months, and it’s so much fun to watch the two of my boys interact and live life side by side.
The one thing my boys have in common is their LOVE of FOOD. OK, so maybe they get some of that from me We try hard as a family to eat minimally processed foods that use a lot of whole ingredients. When possible, I try to give Buckley the best food as well! We love Rachael Ray’s Nutrish dog food line, and they’re doing a super fun sweepstakes right now that I know you’ll love!
You should obviously know by now that Rachael Ray has amazing recipes, but she’s paired them with her dog and cat food lines for a fun sweepstakes! In other words – she’s provided a ton of amazing recipes that are loosely associated with her inspiration for her awesome pet foods. I made some tweaks to her grilled chicken salad with zucchini, corn and tomato sauce. SO GOOD! As in, I will be making this salad on repeat throughout this summer.
Before you make this salad (promise me you will!) take a minute to check out the Chef Tails site for lots of other meal ideas. There’s an awesome prize involved too!
- Cook one of the delicious recipes provided (or one of your own) and share a Nutrish product with your pet.
- Share a pic of you and your pet enjoying mealtime using #ChefTails on Instagram or Twitter for a chance to win.
- Win an all-expense paid trip to NYC where you can enjoy a day in the studio audience of the Rachael Ray Show.
Ahh how fun!
All of the ingredients are super healthy and flavorful (and it’s the perfect meal for me while I’m dealing with this gestational diabetes!)
- 1/2 a lemon (zested & juiced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme (chopped)
- 2 thin cut chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 scallions (white parts only)
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- Handful of basil leaves (chopped)
- Baby spinach
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 an avocado
- In a shallow dish, combine the lemon zest and juice with half of the garlic, 1-2 tablespoons of the EVOO and the thyme.
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Turn them in the lemon-thyme marinade. Let stand.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the corn and lightly brown, 3-5 minutes. Add the zucchini, scallion whites, and the remaining garlic to the corn. Cook to soften, 3-4 minutes. Add the butter and stir to melt, creating a creamy sauce. Remove the zucchini-corn sauce from the heat and toss with the tomatoes and basil.
- Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Prepare the salad - add baby spinach as a base, and one grilled chicken piece on top. Add half of the warm zucchini-corn sauce. Top with the Parmesan shavings and avocado. Enjoy!