This easy & healthy tomato basil soup recipe is creamy – but there’s no cream in it. We use plain greek yogurt to thicken it up, and it works beautifully!
Healthy tomato basil soup recipe:
This is one of the quickest weeknight dinners we make – it’s really easy, healthy and tastes so good! You definitely don’t have to dunk fresh bread into it, but it’s kind of a crime if you don’t
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 (28 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 Tbsp Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2-1 cups milk (I used almond)
- chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and saute the chopped onion for 3-5minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes and basil- bring to a boil.
- Transfer the soup into a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth.
- Add the blended soup back to the pot - add the greek yogurt & the milk (adjust the amount of milk to match the consistency you want)
- Add chicken broth until it reaches your desired consistency (I like mine thicker and sometimes don't even add any broth)
- Bring back to a desired serving temperature.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese and with a piece of bread!
- You can easily use chicken broth instead of milk - they both taste great!
- If you have an old Parmesan cheese rind, add it! It adds great depth of flavor into the soup.
Like this post? You’ll also like: