This easy & healthy tomato basil soup recipe is creamy – but there’s no cream in it. We use plain greek yogurt to thicken it up, and it works beautifully!
Healthy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
This is one of the quickest weeknight dinners we make – it’s really easy, healthy and tastes so good! You definitely don’t have to dunk fresh bread into it, but it’s kind of a crime if you don’t
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 (28 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 Tbsp Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2-1 cups milk (I used almond)
- chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and saute the chopped onion for 3-5minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes and basil- bring to a boil.
- Transfer the soup into a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth.
- Add the blended soup back to the pot - add the greek yogurt & the milk (adjust the amount of milk to match the consistency you want)
- Add chicken broth until it reaches your desired consistency (I like mine thicker and sometimes don't even add any broth)
- Bring back to a desired serving temperature.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese and with a piece of bread!
- You can easily use chicken broth instead of milk - they both taste great!
- If you have an old Parmesan cheese rind, add it! It adds great depth of flavor into the soup.
Like this post? You’ll also like: