There’s something about winter that makes me want to MAKE ALL THE SOUP. All. day. long. It helps that my son loves soup – he’s so cute! He loves to eat the broth (or “brof”, as he calls it).
If you’re looking for the perfect winter soup that’s full of fresh ingredients, you need to make this right away! This sausage kale soup is my mom’s recipe, and it’s become a true staple in both of our homes. It’s simple, healthy, and tastes SO GOOD!
- 1 lb. Sausage*
- 3-4 potatoes, cubed
- 4-5 carrots, peeled & cut
- 1-2 cups of kale, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown the sausage, remove from the pan and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Return the sausage to the pan.
- Add the potatoes & carrots, cook with the sausage (about 8 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth.
- Cook until the potatoes & the carrots have been cooked through (about 15-20 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Add the chopped kale once the potatoes & carrots have been cooked - stir, put the lid on, and wait for about 5 more minutes (until wilted)
- Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- *I like sweet Italian sausage, but if you like a little kick, use hot Italian sausage instead!